Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Day 14-15




















Variety Show

Today was jam packed full due to the intense preparation required for the variety show, the day's main event. Hosted by the "Ongei Brigade," literally meaning "sound entertainment Brigade," the 2011 Variety Show was a huge success and included many surprising acts. Josh G. started the event showing us some tricks on a traditional Japanese Kendama. Melanie and Alexis sang some incredibly beautiful songs on their guitar and ukulele, respectively, silencing their audiences. Riley performed a stand-up comedy act, leaving the audience baffled and in tears at times. Several dance groups were also included in the show: Lizzi, Rebecca, Hyunah, Monica, Nguyen, and Kemaya showed off their amazing skills dancing to SNSD's "Gee," a cute K-pop song with great dance moves. Let's not forget their awesome "clients," Calyssa and Josh G. On a completely opposite note, Fiona, Olivia, Clara, and Jillian created a parody of our morning exercises, rajio taiso, to Michael Jackson's "Thriller," ending the performance with a crusty-handed power pose and a house full of laughter.


As a culmination to the show, April, company president of the Ongei Brigade, surprised Margo and Kyle with a happy birthday song soon joined by the rest of the Academy. July 10th was their 17th birthday and for the past two weeks, April had been keeping the surprise from them diligently. We finally got to yell surprise tonight, at a surprise party planned by Calyssa as well as at the end of the variety show. Margo and Kyle received several presents, birthday crowns, and a box full of birthday cards from each person in the Academy. Both were close to tears at the end of the night, a very touching moment for all of us. It's good to know that the people here cared, still do care, for each other and leaving the nightly meeting, all of us felt closer than ever and a great sense of accomplishment for the good we had done that day.

Jillian


Wow….where do I start…ha-ha. Well, before I came to the academy, I agreed to myself that I wouldn’t tell anyone that my birthday was during the duration of this program. I thought maybe all the attention wouldn’t be necessary. I guess that didn’t go to well considering the Sensei’s and companies were planning a birthday party for Margo and me from the start. Not in a negative way, of course! First of all, I already knew that a company was planning a birthday party, but I would have never known that it was for Margo and I since I was told it was an early birthday party for Sones-sensei because his birthday is in July as well. I guess I was wrong and moreover shocked when Kemaya pulled me down to the stage after the variety show with Margo, while playing a Japanese birthday song. Oh and of course Kevin jumping on top of me in addition to all the pictures and laughter. -.- I would pretty much conclude that made my whole day until it was time for our daily journal time at 9…. Sones-sensei pulled me over to the side while everyone continued to go downstairs. (uhhh, I thought I was in trouble or something D:) Once he pulled Margo to the side, I pretty much knew it was something about our birthday. ^A^ However, when I got downstairs, it was a lot more than what I expected it to be o___o I was so overwhelmed with all the surprises and the benevolent aura that was given off in that room. Just looking at Margo’s watering eyes made me truly understand how overwhelmed and happy we both were. And Calyssa giving us both a personal beautiful box filled with letters from everyone….I really thought I was going to cry ha-ha. =___= The food was great too…it was nice to have some Korean food for once since I was craving it for the past two weeks. This will definitely be a memory I will never forget. :D

Kyle

No comments:

Post a Comment